We make it fast, easy, and affordable to recruit participants 🙋 for product tests and user research. 👨💻
User Interviews helps teams discover and embrace user insights by streamlining the user research process. We believe this is what allows companies and products to succeed. We know, because our first company flopped—read our origin story.
You’ll be joining a team that cares deeply about talking to our users, creating great experiences for them, and incorporating their feedback into everything we do. Plus, it is a chance to build a product used by your peers at world class companies. There is a fun-meta-geekiness to the whole thing that never gets old.
About the role
You will oversee two squads that are focused on how we match the right participants to the right opportunities. This is the core of our business and value prop! This work will span a number of areas – determining how to improve the data we collect from participants, refining our matching logic, and rethinking our notification strategy.
But... we are also a rapidly growing startup that will probably ask you to help with a little bit of everything from time to time. You will be involved in the full life cycle of ideas you work on.
We’re always iterating on our processes but here are some of the core responsibilities you can expect:
• Lead the discovery work to figure out what opportunity we should prioritize next for each squad.
• Shape those opportunities into high level set of requirements and hypotheses.
• Coordinate cross-functional communication to keep all relevant stakeholders up to speed on current initiatives.
• Make the call on day to day prioritization and trade-off decisions in a way that balances user needs, product vision, and company goals.
• Track the performance of recently shipped items and report the key takeaways to the full team.
• Establish and maintain a high bar for the quality of work you oversee.
The baseline is someone who is smart, self-motivated, and an awesome teammate. But here are some specific traits that we think will allow someone to thrive in this role:
• You have led efforts from initial ideation all the way to delivery.
• You enjoy switching back and forth between creative problem solving and analytical thinking.
• You are a clear and effective communicator that knows how to tailor your style to the audience.
• You are pragmatic and have a knack for navigating through ambiguity and uncertainty.
• You have an entrepreneurial spirit – you are always learning something new or tinkering on a project.
• You incorporate user feedback into all aspects of your work and use it to drive your thinking but supplement it with your own ideas as well.
• You are comfortable making decisions. You know when to seek consensus vs. when to make a call. You know when to prioritize speed vs. when to prioritize accuracy.
Note: while we are fully remote, we have a strong preference for candidates based in US time zones to make synchronous collaboration easier when needed.
Skills & experience
• 3-5 years in a Product Management role
• Strong analytical skillset
• Clear and effective written and verbal communicator
• Effective decision maker
• Enough technical understanding to reliably gauge if an effort might be small, medium, or large.
Nice to haves – experience facilitating user research, enough familiarity with git to make basic pull requests, comfortable weighing in on product design decisions, proficient with design tools.
We’re a fully remote team (even in the before times). We are proactive about staying close to one another despite not sharing the same physical space. Remote culture is real and we care about it – a lot.
We care a lot about feedback. From our users, of course. But also from each other. We hold company wide retros to make sure we’re always improving and everyone has a place to voice their feedback.
We’re a little weird? We’re fun? We’re empathetic? Don’t worry about it too much, there will be plenty of time to get to know us as we get to know you.
The interview process consists of four parts. The initial screening is a written exercise about a previous product experience intended to gauge communication ability.
From there, there is an analytics interview to understand how the candidate thinks through a product-related problem.
The second interview is with two of our product designers to understand how the candidate thinks about design in relation to the PM role.
The third is a more conversational interview to meet the rest of the team members the candidate would be working most closely with.
We care about DEI and we are constantly striving to build a better workplace for underrepresented folks. We have an active DEI committee that has spearheaded efforts such as creating a learning and development budget for individuals, highlighting underrepresented voices in our content, and surfacing pronouns on a company level to avoid incorrect assumptions. Our product team is diverse, and ⅗ of lead engineering positions are occupied by women.
We're also in a position to enable change. We help companies build and design products that are used by hundreds of millions of people. By making sure our product and team are diverse, we can have an outsized effect in making sure companies do research with representative groups of users. Our own product pays out millions of dollars to participants every year, and we have analyzed it to make sure there is no systemic prejudice. We intend to continue making our product more inclusive, which can in turn influence our clients to build more inclusive products.
Underrepresented folks in tech should consider us because we strive to offer an inclusive environment that fosters personal growth and development. We also play a significant role in making sure representative research is possible at the companies that use our platform.
Made with ❤️ by Veni Kunche.