Job Board/Product Designer (Contract to Hire) at Moneythink
Moneythink is a nonprofit tech startup that is reducing the financial barriers to college. Seventy percent of college dropouts cite financial stress as their main challenge. We leverage human-centered design, insightful data, and bold strategies to help students show up to college ready to succeed, minimizing the risk of dropout and debt.
In this role you’ll design for Moneythink’s mobile-optimized web app. Our product helps underserved youth find great colleges, maximize financial aid, and plan sustainable ways to pay for higher education.
As a design generalist, you’ll thoughtfully put in place the right process and then transition across activities that span the design cycle. We use behavioral psychology, data analytics, and research-supported college advising methodologies to create experiences that answer our students’ pain points. We’re focused on creating personalized, clear, and actionable experiences that help our users meet their goals with as little hassle as possible.
- Collaborate with our product manager, data analyst, subject matter experts, and coaching team to navigate the full design process in quick iterative cycles.
- Develop a detailed understanding of our users and their problems by spending time with students, conducting user experience research and expert interviews, and reviewing our data.
- Work with the product and leadership team to define priorities, design scope, and success metrics.
- Create user flows and journey maps to chart and communicate an end-to-end experience.
- Drive the design process from concept to launch – developing low-fidelity wireframes and prototypes to high-fidelity mockups and visual designs.
- Help us update a new student-facing sign up and college match experience in your first three months, and much more after that!
- Strong conceptual and analytical thinking that balances user needs, business goals, and insights from academic research.
- Sophisticated thinking on how to create an end-to-end user experience. You can:
+ Create clarity by framing clear goals and scope.
+ Articulate an ideal design process and adapt your process to different timelines and team structures.
+ Represent design ideas at low and high levels of fidelity.
+ Clearly communicate design decisions.
+ Design holistic experience that include interactions over web app and text message coaching.
- Experience leading an end-to-end design process, from user research to interaction design and visual design. Including:
+ Experience managing user research projects.
+ Familiarity with current design patterns and responsive web guidelines.
+ Experience maintaining a documentation system for copy and visual specifications.
+ Proficiency in Sketch and InVision.
+ Experience working with engineers and providing clear handoff documentation.
+ Familiarity and curiosity for behavior design.
- 2+ years of experience working as a generalist designer.
- An ambitious and entrepreneurial mindset excited to tackle ambiguity in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for creating opportunity and a more just world.
- Excitement to co-create a best in class design practice and user-centered team culture.
- Bonus: Experience working with diverse and/or under-resourced communities.
- Desired start date: June 3rd - June 17th.
- Contract to hire. Full time.
- Health, dental, vision, commuter, retirement benefits included.
Apply at https://moneythink.org/about-us/careers
Moneythink values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Moneythink is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.