Carbon Five is a digital product development consultancy. We partner with our clients to create exceptional products and grow effective teams in a healthy, sustainable way.
Over the last 20 years, we have learned a lot about what it takes to do this successfully, and in the process, we have created some of the most highly-valued digital platforms, mobile apps, websites, and more.
We offer great benefits, reasonable work hours, and intriguing projects in a welcoming work environment where employees feel safe, have fun, and learn every day.
Carbon Five is seeking a Director of Product Management to lead our team of product managers and act as a strategic partner to our clients. Our product managers are responsible for the research, strategy, planning and delivery of software products. The Director guides the product discipline in the right direction to meet Carbon Five's goals and the evolving needs of our clients. They introduce their own ideas while nurturing the good ideas that rise up from the other members of the discipline, or elsewhere in the company.
Working at Carbon Five
At Carbon Five, you will work on a single cross-disciplinary product development team—engineers, designers, and product managers—working full-time, side-by-side with one of our clients. Together, you will learn the problems they want to solve, get to know the people who are experiencing them, and design potential solutions. You will iteratively develop and release working software using established agile development practices like experiment-driven design, test-driven development, small and frequent releases, and continuous integration and deployment.
- Vision & Strategy: In collaboration with the VP of Product, setting the strategy for the product discipline. Executing and communicating that strategy across the company.
- Professional development: Establishing and maintaining the skill requirements for all title levels. Maintaining leveling rubrics and gathering ideas and feedback from managers. Accountable for the sustained quality and improvement of the discipline
- Hiring: Managing the recruiting pipeline for each office. Maintaining hiring rubrics and process. Continually improving on-boarding experience.
- Communication: Inward to project teams, disciplines, marketing, and sales. Outward promotion of our product discipline, services, and work (blogs, speaking, etc). Ensuring cross-office inclusion and pollination of product discipline practices across offices
- Collaborate with client, developers and designers to define a feasible product that will support the vision, strategy and goals and translate into actionable stories
- Help define project milestones and keep the team on track while maintaining an open path for extensibility and disruption
- Actively create conditions for team success
- Wrangle stakeholders as needed
- Assist with the identification/refinement of product metrics
- Plan kickoffs and facilitate collaboration exercises
- Introduce and/or co-lead an Agile (XP) process
- Identify and communicate project risks and plan mitigations with the team
- Communicate and share out aspects of the process
- Be an effective teacher of process change
- Participate in early stage business development discussions and help educate prospects on modern software delivery
- Work with team to scope projects and estimate team size and budget
- 8+ years in a Product Management or related role, preferably in a fast-paced, continuous delivery environment
- Experience doing product research, developing product strategy, continuously adapting and evolving the strategy, and communicating to senior leadership and across functional teams
- Results oriented — no task is too big or too small
- Delivered B2B and/or B2C products to market and understands how to navigate the differences between the two
- Worked across product teams and/or business units
- Systems thinker with experience in project management, user research, and data analysis
- Experience managing and/or hiring product teams
- Ability to think on the fly, tolerate ambiguity, suggest solutions for problems found, and demonstrate good judgement
- Ability to stay composed, constructively communicate, and effectively collaborate with clients and teammates when opinions differ
Why You’ll Love Working Here
- Projects with our clients last roughly 4-6 months, exposing our engineers, designers, and product managers to a wide variety of industry domains, product challenges, team compositions, and technical constraints in a relatively short amount of time. This way of working provides you as a practitioner with a rich environment for developing and expanding your skillset and growing your professional network.
- You will be given an annual professional development budget of $2,000 to attend conferences, complete certifications, and enroll in classes or other training.