Chromatic in a Nutshell
Chromatic is a digital agency with over a decade of experience creating websites. Using open source technologies, Chromatic is a recognized leader in open source content management systems. We’ve helped some of the web's biggest brands solve hard problems in publishing, e-commerce, and non-profit spaces. We provide leadership and expertise to our clients through design, back-end development, and automation.
We’re looking for an outgoing and motivated designer/developer to join our fully distributed team. We need someone with exceptional communication skills who would be excited to join a talented and tight-knit group in our compelling saga to rid the world of bad websites. A strong online portfolio or code sample of your best work should be included with your application. This role aims to find the intersection of web design, UI/UX, and front-end implementation, with a strong focus on client service. We do a fair bit of work with Drupal and other enterprise systems, so experience here is a real plus.
- Manager: Mark Dorison: CTO, Partner
- Timeline: We hope to fill this position by the end of November, or sooner.
If you’re someone who’s interested in working alongside top-tier web experts, in helping steer the trajectory of a small company, and in joining a unique agency culture, Chromatic is the place for you. More details can be found below:
Roles & Responsibilities
- Work closely with clients and Chromatic team members on engagements to deliver exceptional designs, code, consulting, and advice.
- Participate in and contribute to peer design/code reviews and project stand-ups.
- Assist in defining project requirements.
- Evangelize design/development/process best practices to Chromatic’s clients and the community.
- Work with developers of all experience levels and lead by example where appropriate.
- Engage with the open-source community via code contributions, projects, presentations, blog posts, etc.
- Estimating the effort required to execute interface designs and implement functionality.
- Attending client on-sites.
- Presenting yourself to others in a way that represents Chromatic well.
The following is required:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strategic thinker that often anticipates problems before they occur.
- A proactive mindset.
- Ability to identify and articulate knowledge gaps that might impact a project’s success.
- Creation of and adherence to best practices.
- Developing responsive web and/or mobile application UIs.
- Architecting and maintaining front-end tooling and workflows.
Experience with the following is a plus:
- CSS preprocessors.
- Dependency management.
- Style guides and component libraries.
- Task runners.
- HTML5 APIs.
- Web content management systems.
- REST web services.
- Strong Drupal theming and “site-building”.
- Object-oriented patterns.
- Agile project management methodologies.
- Git and GitHub pull request/code review workflows.
- Designing, developing, and maintaining design systems and component libraries.
If you are on the fence about any of the individual job requirements but feel as though you are qualified and would be a good fit for this position, please apply! Willingness to learn, collaborative work style, and core value alignment is much more important to us than checking off boxes. Your application is welcome.
Some Other Important Traits
- Chromatic is a completely distributed team – strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are of the utmost importance.
- The desire and ability to brainstorm ideas, do research, remain current with industry trends and best practices.
- Enthusiasm, personality, teamwork, and a positive attitude count tremendously.
- Candidates are encouraged to include a short, introductory video with their application. Don’t overthink it!
What sets Chromatic apart from a typical job?
- Work from wherever you want, whenever you want: Our office is completely distributed, you may work from wherever is best for you. We encourage our team members to work when it is most effective so they’ll do their best work, but we tend to schedule meetings during the North American workday and expect our team to usually be available during this time.
- Reasonable Bookings: We book our team members with a max of 30-35 hours per week for project work. We believe more than that is asking too much. The other 5-10 hours is reserved for team meetings, community contribution, and professional/skill development.
- Exciting Projects: Chromatic consistently participates in projects with exciting, high-profile brands and some of the most highly trafficked sites on the web; some of which include Outside Magazine, Martha Stewart, NBC / MSNBC, Shape, Casper, State Farm, Adobe.
- Workflow: We firmly believe in a strong, consistent deployment workflow. We insist on proper code reviews on all of our projects. This not only ensures excellent code quality but more so, makes us all better at our jobs.
- Team & Culture: We work and support each other as a team. We make an effort to get together as often as possible and support each other personally and professionally at every opportunity.
- Flexible Work Week: Chromatic offers a flexible workweek schedule for interested team members when clients/project specifics allow it.
- Salary Range: $72,500 - $82,500 USD, commensurate with experience.
Benefits & Perks