Chromatic in a Nutshell
Chromatic is a digital agency with over a decade of experience creating websites. Using open source technologies, Chromatic is a recognized leader in open source content management systems. We’ve helped some of the web's biggest brands solve hard problems in publishing, e-commerce, and non-profit spaces. We provide leadership and expertise to our clients through design, back-end development, and automation.
We’re looking for an outgoing and motivated developer to join our fully distributed team. We need someone with exceptional communication skills who would be excited to join a talented and tight-knit team in our compelling saga to rid the world of bad websites. A strong portfolio of your best work should be included with your application. We do a fair bit of work with Drupal and other enterprise systems, so experience here is a real plus.
- Manager: Adam Zimmermann: Development Manager
- Timeline: We hope to fill this position by the end of October, or sooner.
If you’re someone who’s interested in working alongside top-tier web experts, helping steer the trajectory of a small company, and joining a unique agency culture, Chromatic is the place for you. More details can be found below:
Roles & Responsibilities
- Work closely with clients and Chromatic team members on engagements to deliver exceptional code, consulting, and advice.
- Participate in and contribute to peer code reviews and project stand-ups.
- Assist in defining project requirements.
- Evangelize development/process best practices to Chromatic’s clients and the community.
- Work with developers of all experience levels and lead by example where appropriate.
- Engage with the open-source community via code contributions, projects, presentations, blog posts, etc.
- Accurately estimating the effort required to implement technical functionality.
- Maintain authentic relationships with client team members.
- Attending client on-sites.
- Presenting yourself in a way that represents Chromatic well.
What We Are Looking For
The following experience is required:
- Strong object-oriented, PHP, and Drupal development experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strategic thinker that often anticipates problems before they occur.
- A proactive mindset.
- Creation of and adherence to best practices.
- REST web services.
- Located between UTC-10 and UTC+2 time zones.
Experience with the following is a plus:
- Open source/Drupal.org project experience.
- CSS preprocessors.
- Task runners.
- Git and GitHub pull request/code review workflows.
- Agile project management methodologies.
If you are on the fence about any of the individual job requirements but feel as though you are qualified and would be a good fit for this position, please apply! Willingness to learn, collaborative work style, and core value alignment is much more important to us than checking off boxes. Your application is welcome.
Some Other Important Traits
- Chromatic is a completely distributed team – strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are of the utmost importance.
- The desire and ability to brainstorm ideas, do research, remain current with industry trends and best practices.
- Enthusiasm, personality, teamwork, and a positive attitude count tremendously.
- Candidates are encouraged to include a short, introductory video with their application. Don’t overthink it!
What sets Chromatic apart from a typical job?
- Work from wherever you want, whenever you want: Our office is completely distributed, you may work from wherever is best for you. We encourage our team members to work when it is most effective so they’ll do their best work, but we tend to schedule meetings during the North American workday and expect our team to usually be available during this time.
- Reasonable Bookings: We book our team members with a max of 30-35 hours per week for project work. We believe more than that is asking too much. The other 5-10 hours is reserved for team meetings, community contribution, and professional/skill development.
- Exciting Projects: Chromatic consistently participates in projects with exciting, high-profile brands and some of the most highly trafficked sites on the web; some of which include Outside Magazine, Martha Stewart, NBC / MSNBC, Shape, Casper, State Farm, Adobe.
- Workflow: We firmly believe in a strong, consistent deployment workflow. We insist on proper code reviews on all of our projects. This not only ensures excellent code quality but more so, makes us all better at our jobs.
- Team & Culture: We work and support each other as a team. We make an effort to get together as often as possible and support each other personally and professionally at every opportunity.
- Flexible Work Week: Chromatic offers a flexible workweek schedule for interested team members when clients/project specifics allow it.
- Salary Range: $72,500 - $92,500 USD, commensurate with experience.
Benefits & Perks
In an effort to remove the mystery around our hiring process, here's what you can generally expect:
- You apply, wahoo! Thank you for taking the time to do that.
- You should receive an autoresponder that your application has been received. (If you don't, you might want to email us at email@example.com to make sure we got it.)
- We'll review your application, portfolio, and video. We aim to do this within one week of receiving it.
- If your skillset, experience, and other abilities align with the position and/or Chromatic, we will reach out for an initial meet + greet.
- For technical positions, we may ask for more specific code samples at this point.
- On the meet + greet you'll chat with a member of HR so you can both ask basic questions. This typically takes about 15 minutes.
- Next comes a second interview - we use Zoom and schedule an hour for interviews.
- For technical positions, the second interview is focused on the technical side of things. For other positions, we discuss best practices, methodologies, experience, etc.
- A third interview, including a Chromatic partner, takes place next. We can dive into any remaining questions both parties may have.
- In circumstances where we have several final candidates, a fourth interview may take place.
- At any point in this process, we (or you!) may realize we're not a great fit for each other. If that's the case, we'll try to let you know as soon as possible.
We understand how much time and effort it takes to submit a thorough application, and we truly appreciate it. If, at any time, you're left wondering what stage your application resides, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chromatic strives to create an environment that embraces diversity and welcomes applicants representing all backgrounds. Chromatic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Chromatic is happy to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require any such services, please reach out to email@example.com.