In conjunction with CIS and OVPR leadership, The Director of RAIS is responsible for the Brown University information systems strategy for supporting all areas of research administration across campus. This includes leading the selection, implementation, training, maintenance, reporting, troubleshooting, sunsetting, and archiving of all research administration information and information systems. These systems are used by staff and researchers across campus on a daily basis and play a critical role in supporting federal, state, and local regulatory and legal compliance in multiple sensitive and highly regulated areas of research.
- The Director of RAIS in the OVPR is responsible for the institutional strategy to support information and information system needs in research administration. These needs cross a variety of purchased and custom solutions, including significant customization to address the regulatory, policy, and process requirements of each area of research administration within the university. The institutional strategy and related needs also require significant collaboration and partnership with CIS leadership and teams and the external vendors and consultants who provide services in this area.
- Oversee reporting on use of research administration systems and on metrics related to the Brown research enterprise on behalf of all campus related to RAIS-managed systems and OVPR areas of responsibility.
- Oversee system management for research administration systems housed in OVPR, including education, troubleshooting, and support for all Brown users, which includes students, faculty, staff, and leadership.
- Mentor and develop staff within RAIS.
- Stay current in all areas of research administration and information systems needs and development for the areas supported through OVPR. This includes keeping abreast of major regulatory changes in research administration in order to assess and maintain our institutional strategy to support research administration and metrics on the Brown research enterprise.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- 7+ years of relevant strategy and management or related experience.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to collaborate not only internally but with all customer constituencies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate at all levels in the organization (with senior management, with technical and business-oriented project staff, with users and stakeholders).
- Demonstrates strategic thinking and effective problem-solving skills.
- Strong operational, customer engagement and delivery skills required.
- Proven leadership skills and management experience.
- Ability to work well within collaborative, integrated teams, displaying a proven ability in leading a team, controlling timelines and budgets, anticipating issues and working towards solution of complex problems.
- Ability to gain the confidence of the team as well as executive-level stakeholders by communicating regularly, keeping commitments and delivering as promised.
- Self-motivated, professional, flexible, comfortable with ambiguity in a diverse organizational environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the talent to develop and maintain effective working relationships with various constituencies including institutional leadership, faculty, senior administrators, staff and department co-workers.
- Must possess a willingness and ability to support and promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
Background check: criminal and education verification.
In order to achieve near-universal vaccination, Brown University is requiring all employees to receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by July 1, 2021. All newly hired staff at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. For more information, please visit University Human Resources.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Director of Research Administration Information Systems
Research Administration and Integrity
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.