Column is looking to hire a mission-oriented Head of Software Engineering to spearhead the technical execution and roadmap of our core public notice platform. You will be responsible for recruiting, training and developing a team of 15+ Software Engineers and Engineering Managers into an engaged and results-oriented department. The role is responsible for Front End, Back End, and DevOps Engineers and will report directly to our CTO, Leo Hentshcker.
To learn more about the role, listen to this video introduction from our CTO, Leo Hentshcker.
What You'll Do
- First Week: You will learn about Column's mission and vision, seek to understand our software development lifecycle, and get to know your direct reports and other leaders. We're a small company that's growing quickly, so interpersonal rapport is essential.
- First Month: You will conduct a listening tour and present a series of recommended actions to our leadership. Develop a technical roadmap and execution plan in collaboration with product and other business leaders. Develop strong relationships and rapport with current engineering team members, including earning their trust and commitment to the future technical and team vision.
- First Six Months: You will hire and shape a technical management team that inspires and empowers software engineers to do their best-work. This will include coaching, mentoring, and developing Columnists on a daily basis. Invest in the development and maintenance of clear responsibilities and standards to build a high-performance engineering team known for its quality, execution and speed.
- First Year: You will design and enforce efficient and repeatable engineering processes and tests that incorporate best practices into the software development lifecycle. Own essential choices about the existing and future technology stack and architecture to improve system performance and scaleability. Be an impactful leader at a rapidly growing tech start-up that believes we have the potential to be a once in a generation company.
Our Ideal Candidate
- You're looking for a remote-first role working with wildly talented people who care about their impact on local communities
- You have experience as a Director or VP Engineering and/or Chief Technology Officer of a fintech, marketplace/ecommerce, or SaaS business that experienced substantial growth, managing at least 20 engineers with engineering managers
- You take pride in having strong people management skills and building diverse and inclusive team environments that support debate
- You are comfortable making choices about system architecture and can explain how you've learned from previous design decisions over time
- You are excited to work with product and other business leaders build out and execute on a technical roadmap for our core product
- You have a strong desire to exemplify our operating principles — be worthy of trust, do work that matters, never stop learning, intentionally build community, and tell a better story
- You have grit and really want to work with us — if you do not resemble our ideal candidate, tell us why you'd still be a great fit for this role in an optional cover letter
Compensation and Benefits
Column is built on the belief that important information should be accessible to the public. As such, we work hard to model this behavior for potential Columnists by including our base compensation in all job descriptions and making our full benefits accessible online.
- For US-based candidates, we offer a base salary of $180,000 – $300,000, plus a meaningful equity stake and 401k plan with a 5% match
- For candidates outside of the US, we use a market multiplier and 12-month trailing conversion rate to convert base salary into local currency. We also offer a meaningful equity stake and retirement plans relevant to the country (e.g., pension plan in UK).
- In addition, all Columnists receive healthcare, vision, & dental coverage for them and their dependents
- Unlimited (and encouraged) paid time off with suggested 15-day minimum and 16-weeks paid parental leave
- Multiple stipends for you to invest in a home office setup and pursue wellness activities that make you feel healthy and whole
Column is the first collaborative public notice platform helping publishers, governments and legal services work together to inform their communities. We are a remote-first public benefit corporation with an in-person headquarters in Miami, FL.
To us, people are everything. Our current Columnists are wildly talented people from around the globe. We support and challenge each other. We address real problems that people face in their communities. We believe that we have the potential to be a generational company that will change the world as we know it. Will you join us?