Empowering cities with data to become more responsive and more equitable
Make communities more responsive, so they are safer, healthier, and more equitable for the people who live in them.
Numina makes a hardware and software platform that uses computer vision to help urban planners and municipal governments design better (safer) streets and public places. We sense bicycle, pedestrian, and other street traffic, and convert this data into real-time intelligence — without surveillance — to enable all sorts of partners in automation, autonomy, and development in the public right-of-way. We are looking for passionate people who would like to join us as we pursue our shared vision of more responsive cities.
WHAT YOU WILL DO HERE
As a Full Stack Software Engineer, you will help design, build, and optimize our system end to end. From frontend dashboards and reporting to distributed IoT systems, you will collaborate with the rest of the engineering and product teams to extend and improve our product’s capabilities. You will report to the Engineering Manager.
You will be responsible for the parts of our system that our customers use (Dashboards, APIs, etc.), as well as the interaction with the backend systems that store and process data. You will help look at our distributed system of IoT sensors as a whole and work to make the system more reliable and accurate. You will also communicate system performance and product updates to the team and customers. As part of your role, you will:
• Work with the rest of the engineering team to review existing system architecture and establish goals and direction for scalability, stability, efficiency, and security.
• Contribute to our front-end web dashboards, graph API, our ETL jobs, and mobile apps.
• Design data flows and back-end systems to support ETL pipelines and delivery needs at scale, including time-series data, sensor management data, user data, and other types of data as needed.
• Update, extend and optimize existing API as necessary to support existing and planned needs of other systems (sensors, dashboards, maps, etc.).
• Manage and tune infrastructure, making use of managed services wherever appropriate (e.g. Amazon ECS, Lambda, IoT, Kinesis, DynamoDB, Redshift, etc.).
• Participate in strategy sessions to develop the technology roadmap.
WHO YOU ARE
You have 3+ years of software development experience using multiple program languages and frameworks. Like us, you value creativity, curiosity, and intellectual honesty, and you are committed to solving problems with us together as a team. Your desire to have a huge impact motivates you to join a small, incredibly productive team and do extraordinary things. You have the following skills and competencies:
• An autonomous, empathetic engineer who’s focused on solving user needs
• Comfortable with owning projects end to end and biased towards action
• Low ego and always open to help and have technical discussions with the team
• Experience with React, Flask, GraphQL
• Familiarity with Python, and JS/TypeScript
• Strong commitment to good documentation practices
Additional experience that could be helpful:
• Experience developing ETL pipelines using Spark and SQL
• iOS and Android app development with Expo, React, or native implementations
• Understanding of networking protocols and security best practices
• Knowledge of messaging systems such as MQTT, Kafka, and IoT networks
• UX research and design thinking for developing digital products.
• Experience with IoT networks, hardware, and Linux administration.
• Experience leading a small cross-functional team of engineers
WHO WE ARE
We strive to be a team of positive, open-minded, respectful, resilient, dedicated, accountable, logical, creative, and empathetic people. We spend our days building an amazing product that makes a real difference in the world. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with an optional office in Brooklyn, New York. We are committed to seeking and sustaining diverse perspectives on our team. We encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and others from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are backed by investors including betaworks, Shasta Ventures, Elemental Excelerator, URBAN-X (MINI BMW), and accomplished entrepreneur-angels. Past projects have been supported by The Clinton Foundation, The Knight Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. We are a small, mission-driven company that is growing quickly. If you’d like to join our laser-focused and fast-paced team, we enthusiastically invite you to apply.
THINGS TO KNOW:
• We’re a small team with lots to do, and there’s a good amount of context-switching. We expect people to be autonomous and drive their own work to completion.
• We’re scrappy and frugal. We’ve built our product at a sustainable pace and have always been pointed toward profitability.
• As a growing company and startup, work priorities may shift as customer or business requirements change. We strive to empower individuals with context and decision-making power to meet this need.
Our application process usually goes like this:
Team interview + culture: A final 1-hour call with the team. The first 30 minutes will be getting to know everyone: where they live, what they like to do outside of work, and their favorite team cat. The second 30 minutes will be a behavioral and culture interview with one member of the team.
We are a Minority- and Women-owned Business Enterprise and are committed to seeking and sustaining diverse perspectives on our team. As a company that serves cities, we strive to look like the populations we serve and hold ourselves to a higher standard of inclusion and diverse perspectives than the tech, hardware, and transportation industries may ask for.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core tenants of our work at Numina. We practice and advocate against non-discrimination in the workplace and we aim to create a socially responsible supply chain and build relationships with and source from diverse suppliers.
Numina values diversity of thought and backgrounds, and we strive to make sure the workplace is welcoming, fun, and effective for everyone. Our flexible PTO and home-office allowances are designed to give every team member the support they need to thrive at work. Our employee handbook is a living document that actively seeks, and is updated with, feedback and suggestions.
We expect all of our team members to uphold our values and be Future-Focused, Human-Centered, Intentional, Accountable, Respectful.
Made with ❤️ by Veni Kunche.